amusing quotes

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

amusing quotes

Post by BlueChair »

"I drove on a field trip once, to a guitar factory, to show all these little kids how to make guitars. So we're standing there, and I'm just waiting for someone to recognize me— "Hey, aren't you that singer guy?" Nobody. Nothing. We're there for two hours, watching them put the frets on, and I'm waiting and waiting... A week later, I took the same group of kids on a field trip to the dump, and as I pulled up, don't ask me how, but my truck was surrounded by people that wanted an autograph. It was a dump, for Christ's sake. I guess everybody knows me at the dump." - Tom Waits
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I've noted this before here, but Waits is the first person I heard utter the immortal words: "I'd rather a have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Small Change: A Life Of Tom Waits by Patrick Humphries is full of cool Waits quotes:

Tom Waits on careers: "A career is like having a dog you can kick. Sometimes it jumps up on you when you're all dressed up and you have to scold it - 'get down boy'. And other times it runs away and you can't find it and it ends up in the pound and you have to spend all this money to get it out. So that's my dog. My career's my dog."

on The Eagles (who had covered his Ol' '55): I don't like the Eagles. They're about as exciting as watching paint dry. Their albums are good for keeping the dirt off your turntable and that's about all... Country rockers? Those guys grew up in LA and they don't have cowshit on their boots, they just got dogshit from Laurel Canyon."

On radio play: "I don't get played on the radio. Ever. Marcel Marceau gets more airplay than I do!"

On writing: "When you're writing your life is like an aquarium. Some things float and some things don't. Some things breathe and some don't. That's the moment I know I'm writing -- when I've filled the room with water... It's like the little crane with the claw in the arcades. You can go for the radio or the watch but you never get it. It weighs too much. You end up with those little wax candles and a couple of rocks."
Misha

Post by Misha »

I want to be your Governor--Arnold S....

God help us all tomorrow....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?