Elvis solo at Global Citizen Festival (NY), Sept 28, 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis solo at Global Citizen Festival (NY), Sept 28, 2013

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... p-20130924

Elvis Costello Added to Global Citizen Lineup
He will join Kings of Leon, Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys and John Mayer at the Central Park show

By Andy Greene

Elvis Costello will perform a short acoustic set at the second annual Global Citizen Festival, Rolling Stone has learned. The free concert will be held Saturday, September 28th, in New York's Central Park. Costello will share the bill with headliners Stevie Wonder, Kings of Leon, Alicia Keys and John Mayer. The event will be broadcast online. Register at http://www.globalfestival.com and you'll be sent instructions on how to watch the live feed on Saturday.

The Global Citizen Festival is organized by the Global Poverty Project, which aims to eradicate poverty. Last year's inaugural show drew 60,000 people to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Foo Fighters, the Black Keys, John Legend and Band of Horses. It was initially conceived as a one-shot deal, but interest from Stevie Wonder caused organizers to realize that a second show would help spread their message even further. It's timed to coincide with the annual meeting of the United Nations General Assembly.

"What the Global Poverty Project and its Global Citizen movement have accomplished in just five years is really inspiring," Mayer said in a statement. "Their mission to end extreme poverty is one that we can all agree on, all support. I'm excited to be part of this year's program, alongside musicians I admire and working to end extreme poverty within a generation."

Gerard Butler, Katie Holmes, Freida Pinto, Olivia Wilde, Bridget Moynahan, Russell Simmons and will.i.am are scheduled to speak at the show on Saturday.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis solo at Global Citizen Festival (NY), Sept 28, 201

Post by bronxapostle »

gee....a long day for 3-4 songs, but what if he does a one-off song? should i? will i get a ticket? :?: :?: :? :?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:gee....a long day for 3-4 songs, but what if he does a one-off song? should i? will i get a ticket? :?: :?: :? :?
Have fun ba. I'll be watching (and recording) at home.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

don't think i'll endure it either DOC! hey: get that EC/BB (ONLY EVER?) duo performance up. the world will love it! i figured the short show would be easy. :D
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:don't think i'll endure it either DOC! hey: get that EC/BB (ONLY EVER?) duo performance up. the world will love it! i figured the short show would be easy. :D
I've got other distractions right now, but I'll get to it this week.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

anybody get a ticket to this??? i'm tempted to go without one. if its nice weather and i get a hold of the agenda. i wouldnt mind seeing E and SPLITTING! he's probably on towards the early end, right?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

no one going??? i'm getting THE FEVER! guess i will just go down WITHOUT a ticket. back in 1995 on October 7th, i went down to CENTRAL PARK Great Lawn for THIS no doubt much more beautiful and memorable occasion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpF1HG7Pb2s without a ticket and some wonderful lady NYPD slapped a ticket in my hand immediately...God loves me that way!!! for those who do not know (and sadly the video clips the ending) the crowd gathered broke into the song spontaneously for our Papa! 8) 8)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

nice tweet from GLOBAL people about "last minute tickets available at Paramount Hotel with any purchase." 46th and 8th i think it is...and only five blocks from my job, but i left there seven hours ago. anybody close by and wanna take a walk for US!!!! haha...hope any purchase means a coffee and not a room rental. :lol:
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

A video torrent of the Kings Of Leon set is on Dime now.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Tripwire and an abbreviated PLU. Streaming online
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
docinwestchester

I think he really was walking his dog when they asked him to sing a song.

Setlist:

How are ya?

01 Tripwire/PLU

Good night!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

parked at 74th Street on 5th Avenue (REAL CLOSE!) at 1:55 and had a ticket in my hand from a kind woman at 2:10.thanks again ma'am. was inside by 3:00 after lengthy walk through the park. they sure corralled everyone into place (going so far as to notate barricaded areas as "pens") YIKES!!!! the heebie-jebbie laden ba was in full force today and i was NOT liking this. i was thinking all along that i would gladly be able to pull back and be comfortable towards the VERY back of the crowd just like the old days of free concerts in the park when you could meander ANYWHERE. no more!!! thankfully, as my first "cell block" was nearing capacity, i inquired of a security gentleman if once the NEXT area was open behind me, if i could kindly go there. he was gracious and let me go there when it was indeed opened. by the time KINGS OF LEON hit the stage (i liked them a bit better than i thought i might), pen number two of the day for me was growing rather harried too. imagine my immense pleasure when after Kings exited the stage, a nice young actress introduced EC immediately. as soon as he said "i'm gonna do half a new one and half an oldie" i surmised that would be all for him today. i gleefully departed the beautiful GREAT LAWN and know i will NOT see it again in THIS lifetime for THIS kind of event. however, it will be a pleasure to walk through it one day again without iron barricades abounding. glad i went....AND here's the setlist according to ba;

TRIPWIRE
PEACE, LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING (trippy version) :lol: :lol: :lol:

that IS what my archives will say...a definite vastly different take on PLU!!!
Last edited by bronxapostle on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
docinwestchester

You can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faOtoLLG1eg

Awful introduction, BTW.
Last edited by docinwestchester on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

doc,

thanks for alerting me that Palladia aired this. It is being re-aired now and twice tomorrow.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

glad to have seen STEVIE on tv...what a setlist! A+++ and Alicia was great too (caught the last three songs when i got home.) but i still don't comprehend this Mayer guy. okay voice, better guitar but crappy songs and something just so God awful about his pretentiousness.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

one more funny aside: 12 days before i was leaning on the stage the whole show for my CLOSEST EC show experience EVER followed by yesterday, being approximately THREE football fields away without even being able to decipher just WHERE on the stage he was. :lol: :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

It's not the distance, BA it's your age and your eyes - :lol: :lol: I nearly accosted some bloke in Blackpool in June cos I thought it was Steve and only just realised in time. Did Mr Sony make it to the park ? Thanks for the concerts the Doc has put on dime, looking forward to grabbing the BB show in particular with a holiday booked next week !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes...of course SONY came. but, you do NOT want to hear THAT one! too many chit chat stoners around me! :lol:
just like you do NOT need my BROOKLYN BOWL with that stellar WFUV and doc's KILLER audience for those so inclined. i'll see if SONY grabs an exclusive November show for the ANALOG HOUNDS amongst us....like YOU my pal, SULKY!!!!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Great rendition of Tripwire, can't get enough of this song right now. Enjoyed the over the top guitar too!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review of various performances at the Global Citizen festival in BillBoard magazine here:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... n-festival

Extract regarding EC reads:

"Elvis Costello provided some set-changing music with a mashup of new song "Tripwire" and the classic "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding.""

"Set-changing music"! A bit like LiveAid then.

MOOT