What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

After seeing him play some of the songs live on Saturday, Easy Tiger has passed Cold Roses as my fave Ryan Adams. The Sun Also Sets and Goodnight Rose were just phenomenal.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
StrictTime wrote:Ryan Adams' Cold Roses, something I bogarted from my dad. I don't think I'll be giving it back....
Bogarted! :-)

How is different from brodying?
Same thing. Doesn't anyone else anywhere use those words? I'm starting to feel like the only one. I do love colourful words though. And once funds permit, I'll pick up some more Ryan Adams. A birthday is coming up, and it's 18, so maybe I'll be able to get a few of the of CDs on my list.

(Edited for grammar and spelling;can't stand errors, going back and seeing them)
Last edited by StrictTime on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'Dermot Troy Remembered ' - the incredible voice of Dermot Troy finally makes it to CD. Mostly mastered from vinyl sources this is like hearing sounds from my childhood . Roses Of Picardy and She Is Far From The Land are my current favourites.

http://www.cdworld.ie/product-detail/26 ... HE+BEST+OF

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/pressreleases/
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

"DERMOT TROY
(1927 - 1962) tenor
Born County Wicklow

Joined the RAF at eighteen for a short period. He studied at the Royal Irish Academy of Music, won the Irish Independent Caruso competition in 1952, and was invited to join the Glyndebourne chorus. He then spent three years at Covent Garden and was invited to sing in Mannheim. This led to a successful tour in Germany and a prestigious engagement in Hamburg, where he was offered a three-year contract.

Early in 1961 he suffered a heart attack and was obliged to stop work for a year. Hamburg kept his place open, and in April 1962 he returned to sing as Lensky in Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin. It was his last performance: he died in September 1962. His acting ability, gift for languages and fine natural tenor had won him an international reputation and opened a brilliant career before him when he died at the age of thirty-five.

Source: A Dictionary of Irish Biography, Henry Boylan (ed.), Gill & Macmillan, Dublin, 1998."

I used to know his daughter in Madrid 20 years ago, and her half-sister by a different father. At least I'm pretty sure that's who she was. Vivian, if that was the spelling, Troy. I'll have to check with my wife.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've been shuffling my Springsteen songs on my iPod. I'm loving the music, which is amazing, but lately I've realized just how much Springsteen's back catalogue is in need of remastering. The music is flawless but the sound is so flat compared to the newer releases and the few that have been remastered (Tracks, Born To Run). Hopefully there'll at least be a Darkness On The Edge Of Town box set to follow up the terrific Born To Run package.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I used to know his daughter in Madrid 20 years ago, and her half-sister by a different father. At least I'm pretty sure that's who she was. Vivian, if that was the spelling, Troy. I'll have to check with my wife.
Yes, that's the one. She was two when he died. The half-sister's father was Irish composer Colman Pearce:

http://www.cmc.ie/composers/composer.cfm?composerID=146
Otis Westinghouse

Oh, and I'm listening t the 'Head's In Rainbows and liking it a bunch so far. It seems they've dropped some of the 'we'll be as experimental as we want to be' attitude and refound the desire to make good songs, although I've liked many aspects of their post-OKC LPs.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A random grab from the cd stacks got this for listening while reading this evening -

Sam Phillips' 1991 album . Produced by T Bone Burnett , it's superior pop with all kinds of quirky sounds. Elvis gets a guitar credit . A 'net hunt tells me his contribution was on the track 'Lying'

http://www.tmtm.com/sam/

"I remember starting to write it at the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood, which is a great old hotel. There's all kinds of folklore associated with it, and it's really one of those types of places I find inspiring. The recording of the song was really difficult. We couldn't figure out how to record it until Elvis Costello came in and saved us with a crazy idea. He took some pencils and started banging on a 12-string guitar, and created a drone which sort of set the tone for the whole piece."

-- Sam, A Question Of Faith, Goldmine, November 1996
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I've been a fan of that album since seeing Sam open for EC on the Come Back in a Million Years tour. Great album, great songs, great sound.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

And I post again!

Just spun Tea For The Tillerman for the first time, the first album in my recent windfall that I've listened to. First impressions are favourable. I think I must have known someone who played this when I was younger, as it sounds strangely familiar... (Same thing happened with Armed Forces, first time I listened to it. My parents used to play it when I was younger. I can remember dancing along to Oliver's Army in the kitchen as a tot. But I digress.) Next up is one of the six Bruce Springsteen albums I've got. So much music, so little time.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Have given this a few spins now and it's really starting to grow on me in a big way. The band has such a talent for building these incredible sonic landscapes, with interesting little bits flying by here and there. You almost want things to go on a bit longer in certain places - at the end of "Reckoner" for example, where that little string figure comes in. The first song, "15 Step" is a bit misleading. It's a fine opener, but unlike anything else on the album - sort of like a lost track from Yorke's solo album. There's a lot less of the electronic blips and buzzes and more straight ahead bass and guitar (i.e. the second track "Bodysnatchers"). "Weird Fishes" is another gorgeous creation that just builds and builds into something really special. Could become my favorite track. "House of Cards" is another one I really like.

If you're any kind of fan of the band, it's worth getting - especially since you can name your own price. People who drifted away from the band around the time of Kid A and Amnesiac may find this more approachable.
Yeah. it's great, and more of a reminder than anything in recent years that they can be great songwriters as well as sonic landscapers. I'm loving the dreamy, gentle melodic side to this record, and the way the songs build. Nude, Weird Fishes, Reckoner, All I Need, House of Cards. but it's very listenable as whole (on my second way through right now, and as someone said elsewhere recently, that's quite rare). 42 mins is just right, 10 songs. All LPs should stop at that. Lerve them wanting more.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yup. Best thing they've done in a long while, though I have some affection for Kid Aand Amnesiac. They needed to do that to get here, IMO.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This is quite good. Fogerty is still in very good vocal form and very Creedencesque (not surprisingly).
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Miles Davis: "Kind of Blue"

Never ever gets old.

"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

For my lunch today i have been mainly listening to...

Sundress - Ben kweller
lets make love and watch death from above - ccs
girl in the war - josh ritter
the great pagoda - donald fagen
run - ben kweller
hollywood bass player - josh rouse
going nowhere - elliott smith
theres no lights on the xmas tree there burning big louie tonight - the Sensational Alex Harvey band
Wrecking ball - Interpol
Olympian - Gene

ahh the beauty of the shuffle button on your mp3...
...I want him to hurt...
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

White Album, and loving it. I've had it for a few months but I buy records at a faster rate than I listen to them ;) . Definetley my favourite of theirs so far.

The Barbershop Quartet-Simpsons episode got even better. I only figured Barney getting a japanese girlfriend and recording something bizzare was just a poke at Lennon and Ono's experimenting in general.

Number Eight *BELCH* Number Eight *BELCH* Number Eight :lol:
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Bad Ambassador wrote:
BlueChair wrote:Image

Fan-fucking-tastic soul. This may be her best record of the three she's got out.
I'm deeply envious. Still waiting for the vinyl to reach these shores.
Now in possession. Sounds fantastic, as always.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

A very good pop album. Don't really know why it's getting so many lukewarm reviews.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

And now this :

If you're looking for a band that sounds like a subtler version of Arcade Fire, with a touch of Tindersticks, a pinch of Lambchop and occasional influences of Joy Division (and, let's be honest, who isn't ? :D ), this is your album.

Easily in my top 5 this year.

Will have to check their Alligator from 2005.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Sunday has been designated vinyl only day in my house so ive just been listening to
My aim is true
All mod Cons - The Jam
The Lodger - Bowie

Invisible Pole - Love the new Rilo Kiley album, it got pretty good reviews in England. Love the racks Get a little love and Money maker (which i did see in a shop on 7" green vinyl!!) and if you like the new National album try and find their track Mr November from about 2004 - you will love it!
...I want him to hurt...
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

The world is Yours - Ian Brown
Wincing the night away - The Shins
Hey Venus - super Furry Animals
...I want him to hurt...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

First time I've been in an Elvis mood in ages.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

http://www.imaginedvillage.com/

I now have the Imagined Village album, and it is very good stuff.

Masterminded by Simon Emmerson, The Imagined Village is traditional English folk songs brought up to date. It features (amongst others) Martin Carthy, Eliza Carthy, Billy Bragg, Paul Weller, Sheila Chandra (Monsoon) & Benjamin Zephaniah.

Still listening to the Coral album (Roots and Echoes) which is excellent (I think you will like it WSS) and picked up the best of the Housemartins - aah memories.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Still listening to the Coral album (Roots and Echoes) which is excellent (I think you will like it WSS)
Thanks. Will have to pick that up. A couple of the Hawleyboard regulars were singing its praises.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick