Elvis (solo) plays Davis, CA, April 7 '10

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis (solo) plays Davis, CA, April 7 '10

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' pr people say -

4/7/10 - Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts (Davis, CA) - Elvis Costello Solo Show

The venue , however, lists -

http://www.mondaviarts.org/events/event ... eason=2009

Lionel Loueke Trio

Wed • Apr 7, 2010 • 8:00 PM
Thu • Apr 8, 2010 • 8:00 PM
Fri • Apr 9, 2010 • 8:00 PM
Sat • Apr 10, 2010 • 8:00 PM
Last edited by johnfoyle on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Davis, CA, April 7 '10 ?

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/ti ... tello.html

January 20, 2010
Elvis Costello coming to Mondavi

Well, it's about time.

Singer-songwriter Elvis Costello will be making his Mondavi debut on April 7,
it was announced by the Mondavi Center for the Arts this afternoon.

Costello will perform solo for this concert.

WHEN: 8 p.m., April 7
WHERE: Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center for the Arts, UC Davis
TICKETS: $35-$65; $$17.50-$32.50 Students
INFORMATION: (530) 754-2787 or at MondaviArts.org.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis (solo) plays Davis, CA, April 7 '10

Post by johnfoyle »

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provid ... d=11084021

Elvis Costello concert sold out

February 2, 2010

Mark Anderson

A recently added solo performance by Elvis Costello at the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts sold out the day after tickets were offered.

The April 7 show was added to the venue’s calendar Jan. 22.

There were pre-sale opportunities to Mondavi subscribers. General ticket sales opened Monday and sold out Tuesday, said Rob Tocalino, director of marketing for the center on the campus of the University of California Davis.

“We’re thrilled to see the demand for the show,” he said.

The Jackson Hall in the Mondavi Center seats 1,800.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going ?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Me. I don't know if I will have any time to post a review after the show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Extensive preview , 'Allison' mis-spelling 'n all -

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/04/06/265729 ... davis.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/04/07/266325 ... ndavi.html

Randall Benton | RBenton@sacbee.com
Elvis Costello performs in Jackson Hall at the Mondavi Center in Davis on Wednesday night
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Jean makes a brief comment on listserv-

(extract)

The show clocked in at something like an hour and forty minutes, way too short.............New songs: the one he did on PHC, another very 30s piece (Josephine in
the title?*), and "The Spell That You Cast," which sounded 60s to me - makes you wonder what the new album will sound like!

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline ... s_to_Davis

Elvis Costello returns to Davis

by David Watts Barton

published on April 7, 2010 at 11:20PM

32 years after his first US tour brought him to UC Davis' tiny Coffeehouse, Elvis Costello returned to the campus. But this time, he was no longer the angry young "punk" fronting the Attractions and battling audience members. Instead, he is something of an elder, in his mid-50s and playing a stage that more often features orchestras and jazz greats.

When he played Davis in 1978, the "real" Elvis (Presley) was not yet dead a year, and this young upstart was actively hated by some traditionalists who resented his tongue-in-cheek name (he was born Declan McManus) and resented his short, sharp pop. At that UC Davis Coffeehouse show, someone in the audience was antagonistic enough to push a mike stand and hit Costello in the teeth, prompting the singer and his bassist to jump into the audience, ready to fight. The show itself was cut short.

Nowadays, one can say "Elvis" and everyone knows you're talking about Costello, and while he was never really a punk, his fealty to tradition is far clearer. He is a contemporary master of many musical traditions, having recorded with all manner of performers, from opera singers to country stars, string quartets to bluegrass bands. He has collaborated with pop greats Paul McCartney and Burt Bacharach. He was never really punk, but he had the attitude. Wednesday night, Costello wore a country gentleman's wide-brimmed hat, and played acoustic guitar. He's lost the considerable girth he'd accumlated over the last decade - for awhile there, he was the new "Fat Elvis" - and at least from a distance, he doesn't look much different than he did 32 years ago.

Greeted by a sold-out house of fans that included at least several who were at that Coffeehouse show 32 years ago, Elvis played an 80 minute set that went by all-too-quickly. Though he tried out a handful of new, unrecorded songs, he played songs from throughout those three decades, hitting a few obvious points (his lone Top 40 hits "Veronica" and "Everyday I Write the Book") and a few relative rarities (his first recording, "Radio Sweetheart," and the dark comedy of "God's Comic").

Backing himself on a handful of guitars, including a couple of hollow-bodied electrics, Costello was in fine voice, his primary instrument revealed in ways that it rarely is when backed by a full band. Noting the advice that his father, a professional musician himself, gave him long ago, he never "looked up at notes, but always looked down on them." That is to say, despite the fact that he sings towards the top of his range much of the time, even going into some pretty spectacular falsettos, Costello always felt in control of his voice, dropping down into the notes rather than straining up to reach them.

There were a number of highlights, from his spooky take on his early single "Watching the Detectives," on which he layered electric guitar rhythm and lead parts through a looping device, to boisterous versions of "(The Angels Want to Wear My) Red Shoes" and the more recent opener, "45."

Although it has always seemed almost too easy, Costello's "Alison" was a highlight. Though he seemed loathe to embrace early in his career - it wasn't edgy enough even for its composer - on Wednesday night this early classic was absolutely shimmering, and Costello played it without a hint of self-consciousness. As with many other moments during the show, the sold-out hall was utterly hushed as the singer worked his way through the simple, but utterly affecting, classic.

There were a number of newer songs as well, from "Down Among the Wines and Spirits," "Either Side of the Same Town" and the broadly comic word game of "Sulphur to Sugar Cane," but in only 80 minutes, with many times that worth of songs in his catalog, Elvis was bound to leave out many favorites.

But closing with "Man Out of Time" probably raised some goosebumps among the appreciative audience. "Man Out of Time," with its gorgeous, ascending chorus, and indellible imagery, underlined his almost offhand skills, and was a terrific end to an all-too-short show. This Elvis has used the years since his Davis debut well, and his return Wednesday night was a wonderfully succinct tribute to his entire career, past and present.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/ti ... harms.html

Costello charms sold-out Mondavi crowd

Elvis Costello charmed and entertained a sold-out Mondavi Center audience Wednesday night with a wide-ranging 90-minute performance.

Dressed in a gray suit with a wide brimmed, tan Panama hat, Costello moved easily through songs from across his career, including three tunes from his first album "My Aim Is True," two songs from his last studio recording, "Secret, Profane, and Sugarcane," and even debuting three brand-new songs.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jonesing for a complete setlist....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

jeanlass

Post by jeanlass »

I'm pretty sure this is complete, but it seems awfully short:

Either Side of the Same Town
Veronica
Down Among the Wine & Spirits
Brilliant Mistake
Bullets for the Newborn King
EDIWTB
Bedlam
Jimmie Standing in the Rain
Slow Drag on Josephine
Watching the Detectives
Radio Sweetheart
God's Comic
Alison
Sulpher to Sugarcane
Red Shoes
The Spell that You Cast
Man Out of Time
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Short review by Rachel Leibrock published on April 15, 2010 in the Sacramento News & Review.

"Elvis and the devil in Davis

A king in brief:

Sometimes less isn’t more, it’s just less. Still, Elvis Costello managed to pack a plenty of good into his truncated Mondavi Center show last week.

While the seat usher promised a two-hour set, Costello’s performance barely clocked in at 90 minutes, but there was little else to complain about as the venerable pop singer-songwriter, armed only with guitars, deconstructed a handful of gems, stripping songs such as “Alison,” “God’s Comic” and “The Angels Want to Wear My Red Shoes” down to their beautiful, naked essentials.

At one point in the evening the 56-year-old singer, born Declan MacManus, jokingly lamented that “at this point in my life I thought I’d be playing a stage with my name in lights behind me.” As the singer stood on stage, surrounded only by a lineup of guitars, this was of course a reference to his showy rock ’n’ roll namesake. Still, although Elvis Presley has sold more records, it’s Costello who continues to make music that’s at once classic and modern."

MOOT
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I was lucky enough to be in attendance. Great show. I recall my friend wanting to hang near his tour bus after the show, but I declined. Too weird for me. Honestly, I'm not into that scene. The next day, I was on my way to Lake Tahoe for x-county skiing as my friend went back to SF. Total bliss. Good times