SMiLE

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

SMiLE

Post by Mike Boom »

Are any of you lucky fu*kers in Europe going to see Brian Wilson and various Wondermints etc play , "SMiLE" , in full - Feb 20 is the first gig I think - in England somewhere ? If you are I want to be you! :cry:
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

though your heart is breaking....
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Did I ever name drop to you guys that I, once upon a time, knew the main Wondermints.

Even got them to play at a pal's wedding and was generally well liked by all band members. Then the friend who I was friends with them through decided to stop being one of their friends, forever ruining my shot at free Brian Wilson tickets.

(The ex-friend of theirs, still my close pal, doesn't like Brian Wilson, so that part of the deal was no skin off his nose. Schmuck-head.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, I hope some of our UK friends are jumping on this rare opportunity. I also hope that Brian decides to do some North American dates of SmiLe

SMiLE will long have a connection with England for me, as I picked up a good bootleg copy of SMiLE at Camden Town in London while I was over there. It's "Wonderful" :D

Anybody who thinks the Beach Boys couldn't top Pet Sounds ought to hear SMiLE
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I'm a lucky fucker!

Well, I will be once I get me ticket.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Whats the tracklist of the bootleg you've got Blue? I had most of SMiLE on MP3's but lost them when my hard drive crashed a while back. Im sure there will be an album and DVD of the show at some stage like they did with the remarkable Pet Sounds concerts, but dont know if they will be releasing the original material at all.

Plaything - Your in for the concert of a lifetime. A full and complete report is required after the show!!!

I cant believe there is no one else from here going!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

How definitive the track order is on my copy, I'm not sure. Then again, SMiLE was never actually completed, so I guess everyone is probably curious to see what songs Brian will play and what order they will appear in.

The tracklist on my copy is:

1. Our Prayer
2. The Heroes And Villains Suite
3. Do You Like Worms
4. Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
5. Child Is Father To The Man
6. Cabinessence
7. I Love To Say Da Da
8. Look
9. The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine
10. Wind Chimes
11. Barnyard
12. Vega-tables
13. Friday Night
14. He Gives Speeches
15. Holidays
16. With Me Tonight
17. Wonderful
18. A "Wonderful" insert
19. Three Blind Mice
20. Water/Cool, Cool Water
21. Surf's Up
22. You're Welcome
23. George Fell Into His French Horn
24. Bicycle Rider Theme
25. Can't Wait Too Long
26. Wind Chimes (alternate ending stereo)
27. Cabinessence (backing track)
28. Heroes And Villains/I'm In Great Shape/Barnyard (piano demo)
29. Good Vibrations closing bit
30. Smile Promo advert
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Brian Wilson? :? I had the misfortune to see the beach boys in Omaha Royals stadium in 1992, and it was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Wasn't there something wrong with him recently?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I saw the Beach Boys in Chattanooga in 1995 with the ex, just before our divorce. I thought the show was pretty good. They didn't draw a very big crowd though, probably just under 5,000 or even less. They performed as though the crowd was much larger though and all had fun.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

laughingcrow wrote:Brian Wilson? :? I had the misfortune to see the beach boys in Omaha Royals stadium in 1992, and it was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Wasn't there something wrong with him recently?
Brian Wilson is a genius and has heavily influenced many great musicians, including our Elvis, both as a producer and as a songwriter.

There's always been something "wrong" with him, but some think that's where part of his genius lies. In 1964 he had a nervous breakdown before The Beach Boys were to tour and decided that they should tour without him, leaving Brian to retire to the studio and become an innovator.

Much like The Beach Boys had little do with Brian's genius on works such as Pet Sounds (though other Boys, particularly Carl Wilson, lended some beautiful vocals to songs like "God Only Knows"), Brian Wilson has little to do with the Beach Boys in the 80's, 90's, and 00's. The Beach Boys of the 80's and beyond is nothing but a "Surfin' U.S.A" oldies fest, often with Mike Love as the only original Beach Boys member on board. An oldies fest that Brian has been eager to put a stop to for a long time.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

BlueChair wrote:Yeah, I hope some of our UK friends are jumping on this rare opportunity. I also hope that Brian decides to do some North American dates of SmiLe

SMiLE will long have a connection with England for me, as I picked up a good bootleg copy of SMiLE at Camden Town in London while I was over there. It's "Wonderful" :D

Anybody who thinks the Beach Boys couldn't top Pet Sounds ought to hear SMiLE
Am I correct in assuming the discussion here is about the album Smiley Smile that contained the hits Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations? - doh!! If only I had bothered to scroll up my question was answered :oops:

Also, I myself thought that the BBs actually topped Pet Sounds with Surf's Up - an incredibly beautiful album.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Apparently the Smile gigs have been an incredible relevation.

According to a UK source, Smile will actually see a Fall 2004 release. Apparently Brian and Van Dyke Parks finally put something together that they are happy with.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... xhome.html

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Mus ... index.html

Just downloaded a recording of one of the shows and my mouth is stuck open!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

BRIAN WILSON is to release an all new recording of the lost BEACH BOYS album ’SMILE’.

Wilson and lyricist Van Dyke Parks, who collaborated on the original ’Smile’ sessions in 1966-67, listened together to the 37-year-old tapes in November last year.

Now, an all-new studio recording of ’Smile’ will be made available by Nonesuch Records on September 27. The album will be produced by Wilson and will feature the ten-member band that has supported him on tour over the past five years, and will also feature The Stockholm Strings and Horns.

The ex-Beach Boy is currently working on the new version of the record at the Sunset Sound studio in LA.

Published: 18-05-2004-11-19

http://www.nme.com/news/108523.htm

Wohooo!! Roll on Sept 27