The Delivery Man - # 10 Album of 2004

Pretty self-explanatory
invisible Pole

The Delivery Man - # 10 Album of 2004

Post by invisible Pole »

One of PopMatters journalists has just ranked his top 20 albums of 2004.
The Delivery Man is # 10. :D

Here's what the guy writes:
10. Elvis Costello & the Imposters, The Delivery Man (Lost Highway)
If Elvis Costello is the unofficial Dean of Rock and Soul History, the ultimate geek-snob who also happens to be one of its most prolific students, then The Delivery Man is his thesis on the American South. If Blood and Chocolate's sessions had attacked King of America's songs, the result may have sounded like this: razor-sharp guitars gutting a regional tapestry. Songs like "Either Side of the Same Town" and "Monkey to Man" are as masterful as the soul and blues standards that inspired them, while "Bedlam" and "The Name of This Thing is Not Love" modernize the traditional. Costello sings like he's on trial for his life, pleading and panting; the Imposters are his sympathetic jury, juicing the argument that The Delivery Man is one of the Dean's most rewarding records in recent memory.

You can see the whole ranking here:
http://www.popmatters.com/music/feature ... undy.shtml

Quite a good selection, I must say - Cave is # 1 and we've got Brian Wilson, Tom Waits, Ron Sexsmith, Wilco, The Streets, Elliot Smith and Steve Earle in top 20.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I like that B&C/KOA analogy.

I wouldn't dispute the assessment of Retriever as RS's best yet in terms of all-round quality.

Am still mystified over Nick Cave. Time for a separate thread on this.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more