Elvis solo, Ann Arbor (MI), Sept 8, 2014 (rescheduled)

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis solo, Ann Arbor (MI), Sept 8, 2014 (rescheduled)

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis solo, Ann Arbor (MI), June 13, 2014

Post by Man out of Time »

This show is now SOLD OUT, according to the theater website which says:

"Elvis Costello’s new “SOLO” tour dates in the mid-west and mid-south U.S. are the first time since 1999 (when touring with keyboardist Steve Nieve) that he’s headlined the area with such a stripped down setup. For the last several years, Costello has been playing about a month of solo dates in the U.S. a year, region by region. They are some of the most adventurous and lauded performances of his career — the last run in November 2013 was called “remarkable” (Esquire) and “exhilarating” (American Songwriter) — and they reflect the musician’s astonishing breadth of material.

In Los Angeles in 2012, the OC Register called Costello’s solo show “spellbinding” and said that Costello’s set list “touched on cornerstone numbers and obscurities of his own, but…also dipped back to pre-Elvis, pre-Beatles, pre-the-other-Elvis and prewar tunes that illustrated his familial roots in the riches of both the Great American Songbook and England’s dance hall and music theater traditions.”

In November, 2013, the DCist pointed out that “It’d be tough to name another songwriter who’s produced as much original material over the last 35 years, and it’s impossible to name another who mines his back catalog as equitably onstage. Most artists have only a handful of songs they’ll ever play from any particular album. With Elvis, any tune he’s ever released is fair game.” The Washington Post wrote that “Costello showed that real rockers don’t need amplification or sound processors to rock out.”

I guess the "prewar tunes", are "oldies" such as Jimmy Standing In The Rain and A Slow Drag With Josephine. Unless the author is referring to a different war.

Anyone going to leafy Ann Arbor?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://twitter.com/SharonPomerantz/stat ... 7004136448
I think I just saw Elvis Costello walking thru the Detroit Airport.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Sounds like he's sick and the show is off...
https://twitter.com/MickiMaynard
And No Coffee Table

Or maybe not?
Elvis Costello, who sounded ill, just cancelled his concert @michigantheater and walked off stage.
Elvis comes back out to apologize. He will says we can have refunds but will try to sing some more. pic.twitter.com/68xDRSGVB5

He begins with, "Don't say a word."
#elviscostello #michigantheater #annarbor pic.twitter.com/NTNJqM4bJO

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

wow...an oddity here, huh? i've been bad-mouthing Morrissey all week. hope i didn't cause any of this. :lol: is it officially cancelled?
And No Coffee Table

And that's it for Elvis Costello @michigantheater. Sang bravely for a hour. I hope he has a hot toddy waiting.
As a singer, I'm amazed Elvis Costello made it an hour. He was clearly under the weather. But his effort was appreciated.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
And that's it for Elvis Costello @michigantheater. Sang bravely for a hour. I hope he has a hot toddy waiting.
is that a good man or WHAT??? he probably gave them an hour AND will give them all their money back!! A+++
And No Coffee Table

http://twitter.com/OakPressMarquee/stat ... 6798702592
An ailing Elvis Costello postponed his Michigan Theater show after 12 songs Plans to return.
And No Coffee Table

We'll remember this gig. Get well, Elvis! pic.twitter.com/kMvgXTig10

Visible shivers! Elvis Costello toughed out a cold to sing us few what a class act #elviscostello #myaimistrue
...guys elvis costello was sick and he cancelled an hour in and now i get to see elvis costello again for free is this real life
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

elvis costello was sick and he cancelled an hour in and now i get to see elvis costello again for free

HE IS THE KING! Moz...this is how you do SHIT!!!!!!!!!!
And No Coffee Table

elvis costello, right before he walked off stage and broke our hearts </3 pic.twitter.com/skaNgqUF5f

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

is it his voice? do we have the mini-setlist? will tomorrow and Sunday need to be cancelled. i was thinking of this one as a road trip as morrissey was due in a neighboring town for a show tomorrow night. glad i stayed home.

oh, NO SHOW Sunday...he should be good for Monday i'd bet. sorry to all with tickets for tonight or potentially tomorrow. :(
And No Coffee Table

Setlist according to setlist.fm:

01. Jack Of All Parades
02. Clubland
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Watch Your Step
05. Poison Moon
06. Radio Sweetheart
07. Come The Meantimes
08. Ascension Day
09. Watching The Detectives
10. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
11. Ghost Train
12. Alison
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

I'm inferring from the tweets he left the stage after "Accidents" and began anew with "Watch Your Step"-- is that right? I know in the past when there have been snafus, it was often "Accidents" he would come back with.

No wonder he didn't even attempt "Either Side of the Same Town"-- those high notes clearly just weren't gonna happen.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Gonna assume that intentional or not, tonight's "theme" was "The Enemy Within" again. And this time it won.
scielle

Post by scielle »

https://twitter.com/AustinJamesF
Austin Filbin ‏@AustinJamesF
Tonight Elvis Costello came out, played 2 songs and then apologized to the fans for being too sick to go on

Austin Filbin ‏@AustinJamesF
He then brought out the manager of the venue, promised everyone ticket refunds, and then played until he couldn't anymore. That is music.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Thanks!
And No Coffee Table

Elvis Costello halts, postpones Ann Arbor concert due to illness
By Gary Graff, The Oakland Press
POSTED: 06/14/14, 7:37 AM EDT | UPDATED: 12 SECS AGO 0 COMMENTS

ANN ARBOR — Elvis Costello didn’t punch the clock for nearly as long as he planned Friday night, June 13, at the Michigan Theater.

Promoters are eyballing a late summer return for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted singer and songwriter after a clearly ailing Costello cut his solo show short due to throat problems. “I don’t think it’s going to work,” Costello told the crowd after his third song, having previously explained he had “a cold” — which, in fact, necessitated a doctor’s visit earlier in the day. “I don’t want to cheat you ... I was brought up to do a good job.”

Costello then walked off and returned with Rick Franks from Live Nation Entertainment, which was promoting the show. Franks called Costello “a trouper” and advised fans to hang on to their tickets for a rescheduled date.

Costello then elected to play another nine songs, soldiering through his clearly deteriorating voice to dip into various periods of his career for big hits (“Watching the Detectives,” “Alison”) and less-celebrated tracks such as “Watch Your Step,” “Poison Moon,” “Radio Sweetheart” and “Ascension Day.” The supportive crowd played along enthusiastically for the call-and-response portion of “Comes the Meantimes” from his collaboration with the roots, and Costello also offered a smooth cover of Nat King Cole’s “Walkin’ My Baby Back Home” and preceded “Ghost Train” with a warmly nostalgic story about a botched appearance as a youth with his father’s band in Blackpool, England.

Costello advised fans to “get your money back,” but his class and grace in the face of most any performer’s nightmare likely made sure that anyone in the theater will hold on to their tickets until the return date is announced.
And No Coffee Table

I wonder how many people at last night's show were at EC's last appearance in Michigan, when it was Steve Nieve who had to call it quits after about an hour.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... and_Rapids
scielle

Post by scielle »

Elvis Costello @ElvisCostello
Apologies to all at the Michigan Theater last night. Appreciate your understanding and cool promoter. Look forward to a swift return. E.C.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis will return on Sept. 8: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/ann- ... rn_to.html

Elvis Costello will return to the Michigan Theater in September

The Michigan Theater has announced that Elvis Costello - who was battling a cold during his recent, June 13 appearance at the Michigan, and consequently cut the show short - has scheduled a make-up concert at the Michigan on Monday, September 8 at 8 p.m.

Tickets for the original June 13 show will be honored for admittance to the September 8 date.

Otherwise, the deadline to request a refund for tickets to the June 13 show is July 16.

All ticket holders will get an email from Ticketmaster with the details.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.