i never

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:I never had Hawaiian pizza (= w/pineapple and ham). I'd probably like it but something holds me back....
Is it the warm pineapple? It should be room temperature or refrigerated, shouldn't it?

Reminds me of that episode of "Strangers With Candy":

Jerri Blank: Oh, real quick, I need to know who’s coming to my party on Friday night.

(nobody responds)

Oh, you know, that’s cool, you can just tell me later, or just come. We’re serving hot fruit.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That could be it! I like fruit less than most people do, but I love pineapple if it's fresh. So it's either that, or I had a bad experience in a former life... :lol:
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I got wasted on absinthe in Prague once, and I've never had a tour guide scowl at me as hard as that Czech one did the next day when my hungover friend and I wouldn't stop giving each other scalp massages.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I never was asked to present my ID to buy liquor when I was underage as often as I am now in my decrepitude. I've been carded 4 or 5 times in the past year and a half or so; lately just this past weekend. Usually by people young enough for me to have birthed. Must be crackin' down....
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Goody2Shoes wrote:I never was asked to present my ID to buy liquor when I was underage as often as I am now in my decrepitude. I've been carded 4 or 5 times in the past year and a half or so; lately just this past weekend. Usually by people young enough for me to have birthed. Must be crackin' down....
They ask me for my ID every time I buy beer at our local A&P. I think it's mandatory in a lot of places now.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Well, damn, and here I was hoping it was because I look fabulously youthful! I know they have gotten a little more militant about it lately, and I see a lot of signs everywhere indicating they will ID anyone who looks like they are under 30. But no way do I look like I'm under 30, especially in the cold light of day.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Goody2Shoes wrote:Well, damn, and here I was hoping it was because I look fabulously youthful! I know they have gotten a little more militant about it lately, and I see a lot of signs everywhere indicating they will ID anyone who looks like they are under 30. But no way do I look like I'm under 30, especially in the cold light of day.
..If you haven't notice, the whole US has become militaristic.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Can you see the whole US from your perch in Toronto? Or is it just the omniscience?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

noiseradio wrote:Can you see the whole US from your perch in Toronto? Or is it just the omniscience?
You'd be suprised how close Toronto and New York are. Really suprised.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

No, not really. I teach Geography. But I am surprised that you can judge all of the US based on what you see of it in Toronto. But I guess you're right. new York and Kansas are basically the same. And they're both crawling with secret police and goose-stepping, jack-booted thugs stepping on the soft puppy neck of liberty. My bad.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I've never understood some people's constant need to be dickheads.
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've never understood how somebody could not be moved by Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

noiseradio wrote:I've never understood some people's constant need to be dickheads.
In fact I haven't been to every US city to prove that fact, but I have read it in a book and I believe it.

And VG I dare you to go and ask a Mexican if he is moved by MLK's speech, see how much he cares. None of my friends have ever said anything about it even when realising the historical importance. I am well aware it is important in US history, i just wouldn't cry about it for 12 years..that's just odd.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I never loved a man the way I love you.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Extreme Honey wrote:None of my friends have ever said anything about it even when realising the historical importance.
Well, there you go. I'm convinced. That your friends are as vapid as you are, that is. So was it noticing the militarism that you read in a book, or the fact that Toronto is close to New York? Or was it the fact that you're a dick? I read the last here on this board but frankly I already knew it.

Seriously I suspect if you read the MLK speech (in Spanish) to any one of the thousands of Mexicans who try to enter this country every year, more than a few would say it sums up why they want to become American. To say that we as a society have done 'next to nothing' since King's speech is (surprise surprise!!) both ignorant and arrogant. More importantly, Noise's was that, for many of us, the speech represents the best America could be. If being moved by the idea of a better future is "odd," I say bring on the oddities.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Extreme Honey wrote:
In fact I haven't been to every US city to prove that fact, but I have read it in a book and I believe it.

And VG I dare you to go and ask a Mexican if he is moved by MLK's speech, see how much he cares. None of my friends have ever said anything about it even when realising the historical importance. I am well aware it is important in US history, i just wouldn't cry about it for 12 years..that's just odd.
Yeah, VG. He DARES you to go ask a Mexican. Go! We'll wait.

We get it. You haven't cried since you were a child (which I'm guessing was last year), and you think I'm odd for feeling genuine emotion about some of the most beautiful ideas ever expressed by a mortal man. And we get that you live in a cultural bubble, believing what you read about places you've never been and that you can't think past the end of your own nose. We get it. Now shut the fuck up.
--William Shakespeare
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

I'm not Mexican by birth, but my grandmother was, so as a person of Mexican ethnicity, yes, of course I am moved by Dr. King's speech. And I think a lot of that is becuase of my ethnic background. I love the idea of people of all races and ethnicities enjoying equality and love. If my parents had been hung up on the notion of skin color, I would not exist.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've never asked a Mexican about Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I *did* once hear "I Have a Dream" in a Mexican restaurant (or was that "Fernando" ?).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
bobster

Post by bobster »

I have never heard an intelligent conversation at a gym (including my own).
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The thought would never occur to me to write a poem with the sole intent of hurting another person.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Trapped in the House of the Perpetual Sucker
Where bitterness always ends so pitifully
You always had to dress up your envy in
some half-remembered philosophy
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I never..... heard the gory details about Blue and Red's fab vacation at sea...... 8)
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

[/quote] Seriously I suspect if you read the MLK speech (in Spanish) to any one of the thousands of Mexicans who try to enter this country every year, more than a few would say it sums up why they want to become American. To say that we as a society have done 'next to nothing' since King's speech is (surprise surprise!!) both ignorant and arrogant. More importantly, Noise's was that, for many of us, the speech represents the best America could be. If being moved by the idea of a better future is "odd," I say bring on the oddities.[/quote]

That's the sadest crap I've heard in a long time. You're wrong, just to clear that up. The world hates America, Americans and specially America's foreign policy. A mexican, cuban, argentine, russian and a moroccan couldn't care less about MLK. All I said was that I wouldn't think of crying just by reading a speech (that dosn't seem so "Glorious" to me, so you can put that glittering generality right back where it came from), and much less for 12 years! No, when I think of someone crying when reading his speech 12 times annually, I think of one of those patriot, southern americans who are completely brainwashed with "American Pride". I'll never be a part of such bullshit. And suddenly I live in a "Bubble"? Oh well whatever, I've been fighting against this my whole life, and I'm getting to the point where I simply don't care. Bottom line is, I don't cry at this guy's speech and you do. Fine. I can live with that, but please don't start calling me a dickhead, that's just a bit too far-flung. I mean don't go to such extremes to defend MLK and his "Dazzling" speech.

Oh and I've never been to one of those pay-for-your-laundry places.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

You are a complete fucking moron. First, I'm not a southerner. i live in the south, but was raised on the east coast. Second, it has nothing at all to do with American pride. It has to do with thinking the words are beautiful. I feel the same way every time I read the Sermon on the Mount or when I read read Solzhenitsyn or when I watch Schindler's List. It's an emotional reaction to the hope that springs eternal in the human heart, even in the face of unspeakable brutality and oppression. And if the fact that I could be capable of being moved every time I hear it really bothers you that much, then you're not just a fucking moron, you're a heartless fucking moron. You're not a dickhead because you don't cry. You're a dickhead because you say dickead things on this board all the fucking time. And I didn't call you a dickhead to defend King's speech. I called you a dickhead because you're a dickhead.

Now, could you fucking drop it?
--William Shakespeare