So thats what they mean by "overproduced"?!

Pretty self-explanatory
wehitandrun

So thats what they mean by "overproduced"?!

Post by wehitandrun »

When I listen to "Spike"... notably, 'This Town...'- Elvis's voice sounds robotic.("fish finger king" "beauty is on my pillow, beauty is here in my vault")

I can say the same for a lot of "Mighty Like A Rose".

In reviews, I've read that these albums have been "overproduced" and whatnot. I always figured that as a cop-out for explaining why one didn't enjoy the album. Now, I see they may be talking about the studio-job done on Elvis's voice. I'm pretty sure "Auto-Tune" is the name of it.

Am I crazy? "This Town..." is RIDICULOUS in this category. I love the song, but please, rerecord it without the assramming of Elvis's vocal job.

<3,
s.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

You have to remember that in the 80's overproduction meant sales... it's hard to get around sometimes, but we should just be glad that for the most part Elvis steered clear of overproduction.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

yeah, I credit it to WB, because Spike was his first release on the label, and they must be responsible. Those major'er labels.

<3,
s.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Spike grew on me after a while.. there really are some great songs on there, you just kind of have to fall in love with the songs through their stripped-down versions on the Rhino bonus disc, and then jump into the album. I had the same thing happen to me with Punch The Clock.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

This live Sweetwater acoustic set I downloaded got me loving "Pads, Paws, And Claws".

He really did some scary screams, and it was acoustic.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I love 'This Town' ....its one of my fave openers. I used to love Spike and MLAR but they have slipped down the list over the years in favour of his really great work (inc BY, WIWC and North by the way).
corruptio optimi pessima