Adivce needed on home recording software

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Adivce needed on home recording software

Post by pophead2k »

Hey everyone, I'm ready to invest in some home recording software for my PC. I'm a novice, so I need something easy to use with a good track record of not causing system crashes, etc.

I'm not in a position to go with something as expensive as Pro Tools, but it looks like there are quite a few less expensive alternatives out there. Any advice? Stuff to avoid? I basically just need the ability to record instruments and vocals directly, or to patch in from my 4-track. I wish I could go with Garage Band, but I think its Mac only at this point. Thanks in advance!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Ive found Cubase to be pretty good to use and pretty stable and does everything you need - you can record MIDI and Audio tracks very easily and the newest version SX VER 2.1 I think it is has a nice interface. Couple that with Soundforge for individual wave editing and youve got everything you need.
Branst

Post by Branst »

Cool Edit Pro (now known as Adobe Audition) would be a good fit for you. MIDI recording is absent but it doesn't seem like you need that anyways. CEP is a great application for recording and also editing your recordings. It's very easy to use and you definitely wouldn't lose by getting it.

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/main.html
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Thanks guys, and to Blue, who IM'd me some stuff. I think I'm going shopping for this today, so I'll let you know what I end up with.