Album Focus: RUM, SODOMY & THE LASH by the Pogues

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Album Focus: RUM, SODOMY & THE LASH by the Pogues

Post by selfmademug »

I like this idea of 'boo's. So....

discuss.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I remember buying this album at Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. in LA. Played it over and over again for weeks. This was a real revelation for me - the energy, the mix of traditional Irish and rock 'n roll sounds, Shane's one-of-a-kind vocal approach. For me, this was The Pogues' pinnacle, though If I Should Fall From Grace With God has some incredible moments too.

I was lucky enough to see them a year or two later at a gig in San Juan Capistrano. One of the best concert experiences of my life, along with Tom Waits at the Boston Orpheem and last year's EC & the I's two-set gig in Providence.

It's a shame that Shane has become so incoherent. That documentary that came out last year was so sad to see.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Great album and a fresh sound with some great songs by Shane, some pretty good trad arrangements and the production feller done quite a good job!
Sick Bed... is a brilliant opening track, A Pair Of Brown Eyes has to one of SM's finest and Sally Mac is always a great live track. My 5 yr old loves Dirty Old Town and of course I'm A Man You Don't Meet Every Day features the lovely vocals of Cait.
An evocative album and it is The Pogues at very near their best, I personally prefer If I should Fall...... but this is very close behind.
signed with love and vicious kisses
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The cover of this is based on this -

Gericault, Theodore
The Raft of the Medusa
Oil on canvas
491 x 716 cm
Musee du Louvre, Paris

I remember standing looking at this in the Louvre in the late 1980`s ; the only word I understood of the many languages of the passing people was the word `pogues` .

The album will always be a reminder for me of riotous Pogues concerts , of visiting emigrant friends in 1980`s London , of discovering aspects of Irish music that I had always avoided `cause it always evoked memories of miserable childhood summers at Irish language school etc. It also reminds me of the joys of CD - the needle used always lift before the end of the track!
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Gericault, no??
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

john, your pictures aren't working for me so I'll have a try.

signed with love and vicious kisses
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

...and I do believe thats our EC with the glasses.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That's a Pogue, surely? The painting features memorably in Julian Barnes The History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters.

I wasn't into the Pogues at the time. I could see the fun of it, and the originality of it, just wasn't into it. I tried to see them in Berlin in 1987, but sadly they were fog-bound somewhere like Paris, so the gig was cancelled. I met a Villa fan who was totally obsessed and travelled to all of their gigs. I knew someone who was astounded by their drinking prowess when doing an article on the shoot of Straight To Hell, brandy for breakfast, etc., and in '89 met someone in Barcelona who worked as one of the entourage, who gave some amusing stories of the nightmare of trying to arrange anything with Shane involved. They were in Spain filming a video, and apparently he just upped and left after a day or two. I saw them the next year in Madrid, at a free event with UB40 and James Brown, no less. They were all over the place.

It was If I Should Fall that got me interested. Some great stuff on it. Actually, it was the immortal Fairytale of NY that really made me pay attention, what a song. I like R, S and the L. Full of life and originality, with some great moments, as above.

A colleague saw Shane at some multi-performer Royal Albert Hal charity gig recently, and later that evening I saw him on the live BBC discussion programme with Diane Abbott and Michael Portillo on, talking about the Irish smoking ban, and saying that away from the cities everyone would ignore it. Needless to say, he was puffing furiously, and obviously full of booze. Still, two commitments in one evening, things have improved. Isn't it a wonder he's still alive, though? How resilient is that liver?

Did EC meet Cait at this recording, then? Love across the mixing console?
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

A classic album, although I too just about rate IISFFGWG as the best Pogues album.

IMHO the much slated 'Hell's Ditch' would have been a really great record if Shane had managed to remain sober for a few minutes during its recording. You get the feeling that the band are trying so hard to make up for his faltering, almost incoherent vocals. Some great lyrics though, such as the fantastic Rain St:

The church bell rings
An old drunk sings
A young girl hocks her wedding ring
Down on Rain Street

Down the alley the icewagon flew
Picked up a stiff that was turning blue
The local kids were sniffin' glue
Not much else for a kid to do
Down Rain Street

Father McGreer buys an ice cold beer
And a short for Father Loyola
Father Joe's got the clap again
He's drinking Coca-Cola
Down on Rain Street

Bless me Father I have sinned
I got pissed and I got pinned
And God can't help the state I'm in
Down on Rain Street

There's a Tesco on the sacred ground
Where I pulled her knickers down
While Judas took his measly price
And St Anthony gazed in awe at Christ
Down on Rain Street

I gave my love a goodnight kiss
I tried to take a late night piss
But the toiled moved so again I missed
Down Rain Street

I sat on the floor and watched TV
Thanking Christ for the BBC
A stupid fucking place to be
Down Rain Street

I took my Eileen by the hand
Walk with me was her command
I dreamt we were walking on the strand
Down Rain Street

That night Rain Street went on for miles
That night on Rain Street somebody smiled
corruptio optimi pessima
bobster

Post by bobster »

"Rum, Sodomy" is definitely my favorite Pogues album and one of my all time favorite albums period, though IISFFGWG (it's even too long a title as acroynm!!) is pretty dang great itself.

I saw the Pogues play at the John Anson Ford Theater in Hollywood (right by the Hollywood Bowl) and it was one of the best concerts I've ever attended. Shane had a wine bottle (well, I think it was wine) in his hand seemingly the entire night and even then it seemed like the band was sort of propping him up in an odd way -- mostly physically. Musically/showmanship wise, he was definitely in control that night.

I also remember it for a special "only in L.A." moment. Someone threw a "I Hate L.A." t-shirt on stage and the audience cheered wildly.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I saw Shane do a Popes show here in New Orleans 3 or 4 years ago. He performed well, but had to be led to stage and was 2 1/2 hours late. Friends who work at the club told me later they didn't even know where he was until he actually staggered into the bar. He drank 4 22 ounce Corona's during the first two songs! It made my liver hurt, and I'm a drinker.

Regardless, R,S & the L, is an amazing album.
Otis Westinghouse

22 oz? You measure liquids by weight? I guess this is fluid oz, whatever they were. There's an irony here over the term 'imperial'!

Alcohol much on my mind today after watching Leaving Las Vegas for the first time last night. Great performance, you almost feel vicariously drunk watching it. It's an interesting film. At least Shane isn't in that league.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

"Belieeeeve me!"
Otis Westinghouse

You know I do, Needleyboy.

Have conducted some research, and can report back that 22 fl oz is about 600ml, around that region, so over a pint. Isn't beer the equivalent to water for Shane?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be hilarious. I saw the Pogues in Tipperary in 91. He staggered on and off the stage several times. he's sing a few lines and then wander off again. It was if the band was just filling in time until he decided he felt well enough to come back on. Thoroughly bizarre.
corruptio optimi pessima
John

Post by John »

This is definitely my favourite Pogues album - although I only bought the first three.
I had the good fortune to see The Pogues live three times live at his time (1985-86). Each concert was fantastic - Shane at the peak of his powers.
Going to see The Pogues was always a big day during which we consumed vast quantities of Guinness before, during and after the concert.
By repeated playing of this album I managed to convert my two student housemates (normally into Phil Collins and Genesis) into Pogues fans and also ensured I had someone to guide me home when the day's fun had come to an end.
Before one concert in Sheffield all the Pogues (including the future Mrs Elvis) came into the pub we were in, took a quick look round, obviously decided it was too studenty and departed.
The concerts were so energetic and exciting, the band's playing superb and Shane's vocals well unique.
This album was followed up by the wonderful Poguetry In Motion E.P. including two of my favourite tracks The Body Of An American and A Rainy Night In Soho.
Happy Days :)
John

Post by John »

This is definitely my favourite Pogues album - although I only bought the first three.
I had the good fortune to see The Pogues live three times live at his time (1985-86). Each concert was fantastic - Shane at the peak of his powers.
Going to see The Pogues was always a big day during which we consumed vast quantities of Guinness before, during and after the concert.
By repeated playing of this album I managed to convert my two student housemates (normally into Phil Collins and Genesis) into Pogues fans and also ensured I had someone to guide me home when the day's fun had come to an end.
Before one concert in Sheffield all the Pogues (including the future Mrs Elvis) came into the pub we were in, took a quick look round, obviously decided it was too studenty and departed.
The concerts were so energetic and exciting, the band's playing superb and Shane's vocals well unique.
This album was followed up by the wonderful Poguetry In Motion E.P. including two of my favourite tracks The Body Of An American and A Rainy Night In Soho.
Happy Days :)
Sorry - I seem to have sent this twice. Can Blue or Taz or someone please delete this one as I don't seem to be able to.
Last edited by John on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

all i've got is a tape of this, and Red Roses for Me. made by my bud scotter, who i think was trying to woe me at the time. woeing didn't work, but i still have the tapes he made me. :)

i actually prefer Red Roses for Me. harsher. i like the flow of fast/slow/fast/slow. and, i've been playing them both in the car all weekend. the car is the place for many of my 80's college tunes. i've got the proclaimers, and siouxie, and the violent femmes, etc.

was playing the pogues in the car saturday night, driving friends home from a party. my bud laura, 15 yrs my junior, was singing along. *I* don't even know the words, i can't discern them. but, she's lived in ireland. lucky lass.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:You know I do, Needleyboy.
"Who's Needleyboy?" --- Image

"Btw, I'm enjoying this thread, and the first in the 'Album Focus' series... look forward to the next one (will you nominate it, Otis?)." -Love, Nick
Otis Westinghouse

Will think about it, you handsome devil.