RIP Tony Randall

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

RIP Tony Randall

Post by El Vez »

Versatile stage, screen and television actor Tony Randall passed away at the age of 84 from complications following heart surgery. He was best known for his portrayal of Felix Ungar on TV's The Odd Couple as well as his second banana film roles in several Rock Hudson/Doris Day romantic comedies. Perhaps his most notable film role was in the cult classic The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao. He was also a tireless stage performer, activist and comedic foil to both David Letterman and Conan O'Brian. Great actor, great guy.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

It's very sad....bummed me out today! :(
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
bobster

Post by bobster »

Tony Randall was definitely one of my minor heroes and an actor I always related to. He'll always be Rocklin Hunter to me and the keen comedy mind that "got" Conan O'Brien when many half his age hadn't a clue. I'll definitely miss him.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Pov

Post by Pov »

He was a great actor. The Odd Couple was one of my favorite shows gropwing up.

Here in New York City he was also well known as an ardent supporter of the arts, havign founded a theatre company to perform the classics at ticket prices that the average person could afford.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

He was awesome... RIP.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Tony Randall was a gentleman and a scholar and just a helluva cool guy. He takes a part of my past with him into the wild blue yonder. . .
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

A local comic/DJ today said Tony Randall's Felix Ungar was the original 'Frasier'. Rather true.

RIP. Though I must admit it doesn't hit me like the death of Jack Klugman, which made me cry.
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Jack Klugman is still alive. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001430/
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Were you stoned at the time Mug? :lol:
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

No, but I was absolutely stoned with fatique when I wrote that! Ha! What an utter spaz I am!

JK was a slip for Walter Matthau, the original Oscar, while we were on the topic of ODD COUPLE-- and now you'll understand why I cried, maybe? He was so incredibly funny, and so, so sweet in real life. I do like Jack Klugman, despite some of the schlock he's done, just for the record. But I really loved Matthau.

As I always tell my son, Tallulah knows everything.... :?
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Well, I was trying to think of who you could have meant, but I was drawing a blank. I couldn't picture you crying over Jack Klugman though. He did have a nice quote about Mr. Randall (which I can't find right now) - about refusing to accept a world with no Tony Randall in it. :(

My mom and I were saying it was very sad b/c his kids are so little, but I guess it is somewhat of a comfort that they will always be able to see him on film and TV though. A cold comfort, perhaps. He did say he was "made to be a dad".
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.