Growin' ma hair long...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Growin' ma hair long...

Post by bambooneedle »

I normally wouldn't ask for input in this regard, but... with the 4-5 inches of waving dark brown hair, I'm starting to look like a 50's greaser. It's getting unwieldly at a rapid rate. Got any tips?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

a perm.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Yes, I have many a time considered the early Bon Jovi look

It's an option worthy of revision to which I will return later on.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I've always been partial to seeing a guy's hair a little long. It wouldn't look right on Doc, but it wasn't meant for everyone. What are you doing with it right now, Boo? Have you got it in a ponytail or what?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Hair long enough to be put in a ponytail does not belong on a man.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:Hair long enough to be put in a ponytail does not belong on a man.
Amen.

It's easy for me to say that - I'd look completely ridiculous with a ponytail or an earring.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

spooky girlfriend wrote:What are you doing with it right now, Boo? Have you got it in a ponytail or what?
No, a ponytail at this point would only leave flaked out strand sides. Too much necessary attention to necessary side trimming is too prim, as well. I wanna grow ma mop basically at once, but I'd rather disguise slightly daggy sides with it floppin' over ma ears. Usually, I've got it almost dry gelled back almost Elvis P style, initial brushmarks hand-ruffled, and it's starting to flop down alright though it could use more weight.
Hair long enough to be put in a ponytail does not belong on a man
MBA, I'm interested in knowing why you think this.
LittleFoole

Re: Growin' ma hair long...

Post by LittleFoole »

bambooneedle wrote:I normally wouldn't ask for input in this regard, but... with the 4-5 inches of waving dark brown hair, I'm starting to look like a 50's greaser. It's getting unwieldly at a rapid rate. Got any tips?
Can't help ya here....I've got the Lance Armstrong look going on here - low maintenence hair is the only way to go during summers in east TN - no bed-head, never looks bad (of course, my mrs. says it never looks good either...LOL). I tend to let mine grow out in the winter until it gets to the point where someone will say I'm looking like David Spade , at which point I know it's time for a cut - as my barber says, "short, but not skinned" ;)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Been thinking I might go for something like this:

But the thing is, getting there. My hair is a bit wavier so I might go longer than that.
miss buenos aires

Bambi, long hair on men is just not something I find esthetically appealing. Anything past the chin is suspect. But I do enjoy the 50s' greaser look.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

MBA- I would be agreement with you if we're talking about limp hair. My hair is not very limp.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ponytails belong on slimy marketing men.

I cannot think of a single man who looks good with a ponytail although you may prove me wrong.

Bamboo - you could try and revive the mullet :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Bamboo, have you thought about growing a beard too ?
If so, how about "the beard years" Elvis ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Us slimy marketing types eschew ponytails as a general rule (I am certain that Bobster will not be sporting one anytime soon, nor will I). However, full body tattoos and genital piercings are entirely consistent with the percieved integrity of our profession.

The only marketing guys that I can recall sporting a ponytail either represented equine supplies or marijuana paraphernalia (sp?).

Herb Turlick
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

At the risk of losing favor with the fair MBA, my hair spends most of its time tied back (per my employer's draconian dress code) but I let it hang whenever possible. With my glasses and beard I could pass for an apostle, albeit a nearsighted one. My wife thinks I'm quite handsome.

In the interim period between short and tie-able, I experiment with Brylcreem for the stiff slick look, or hope for a Beatle mop.

Mr. Average will be pleased to know that I make my paltry living in marketing, the stereotype being that writers have long hair, and designers are pierced.

How any of this helps Bamboo, I don't know. I'm just happy to have hair that will grow back from any styling misadvantures.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

boo i knew you were describing that kind of a joe perry thing. yes, do that. you're young enough that you won't look like an idiot, and if you can, then go for it.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thank you for your responses.

I don't think I'd go for a ponytail or any facial hair (never mind a mullet!).

Straightening could be a good option at some point soon to manage it until it grows to the length I want. By then the weight might hold it down well enough (my hair is reasonably straight anyway at 2-3 inches). This occured to me when I thought of Oprah - a lot of African American women that appear on there with straightish hair I suppose would have had quite frizzy natural hair, so I guess the technology must be effective. I'm told it can make your hair go dry. Any particular advice about it would be appreciated.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I have used hair straighteners twice a week for a year now and its not done any damage to mine. Make sure you use a good conditioner and I also use a special iron oil made to use with straightners - it seals the oil into your hair and also gives you a better finish and shine. go for it - if you dont like it you can always have a haircut!! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hi Gilli.

Twice a week?! I don't think I'm looking for a high maintenance deal. I've been told about a chemical they put in the once, and your hair stays a lot straighter than what it was.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm a Dapper Dan man!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

That's why you can never exude world weary exoticness.
miss buenos aires

Bambi, you definitely don't want to use the same products that are made for African hair; they are extremely harsh and will probably make your hair break off. A lot of my black friends in high school got their hair straightened, and it was very weak and couldn't grow very long. Oprah and her guests, I would venture to guess, all have weave. There is a new process out--the only thing I know about it is that the ads say it's Japanese, which doesn't make very much sense to me, as I've never seen a Japanese person with naturally curly hair--that is supposed to make your hair bone straight. Here's one of the many links that comes up when you Google "straighten hair Japanese":

http://www.citycut.us/thermal-reconditioning-Q&A.htm
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

If it's that strong I wouldn't use it. I just want to make the hair more manageable. I might try one of the less expensive processes, can't afford to spend on an Oprah type makeover!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

bambooneedle wrote:Hi Gilli.

Twice a week?! I don't think I'm looking for a high maintenance deal. I've been told about a chemical they put in the once, and your hair stays a lot straighter than what it was.
Well depends how often you wash your hair - it will stay straight until the next wash if you use hair straighteners so its not really high maintance. Mine is very long - down to my waist and it only takes me 10 mins to straighten it! ask around your girl friends and see if you can borrow some and give it a go!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!