Armed Forces
28%
Taking Liberties/10 Bloody Marys...
4%

Total votes: 47

Jackson Monk

Best Elvis album of the 70s

Post by Jackson Monk »

Youthful Elvis bounding with energy...but which one charges your battery? I've included Taking Liberties/10 Bloody Marys, because to my mind it's better than many of the main release albums he's done.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This Year's Model for me.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

TYM for me too. Can still remember the day i bought it back in 78 and remember how exciting it was playing it for the first time. From the initial rush of No Action to the creepy coda of Night Rally.
Has he ever bettered this album ?
...I want him to hurt...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Very close between TYM & AF, but the latter just gets it for me. The original release did not have a weak track on it (I can live without PL&U (the track)).
signed with love and vicious kisses
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

TYM for me. I don't have the 'I remember picking this up back in 78' that a lot of people do, but I do remember picking it up in Best Buy Last February. My dad got Joe Jackson's Look Sharp! the same day. That weekend, all I did was spin TYM and watch Law and Order. It was like a lost weekend without the drugs. And 'You Belong To Me' made me happy to be single on Valentine's day. This is the one that solidified my complete EC fandom, and I will always always love it. It's top notch.

All that said, I'll get back to the 80s thread....oy, that's difficult.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

TYM
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

TYM
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
alexv

Post by alexv »

TYM. What the first three records share, for me, and what is lacking in all the EC records after GH, is the "un-self conscious EC". Ironically, at a time when the personna he was presenting to the world was the contrived creation of EC and Riviera (the pigeon toed, nerdy, vengeful mysoginist spaz), the music was the realest. I love IB, but in hindsight I see it as the beginning of the end of the 70s Elvis: the lyrics got written down; the singing got more stylized; the lyric lines got longer and denser; and the trip through musical styles got under way. Much as i've enjoyed that ride, the kick of those early records has never been duplicated, except for portions of BY and BAC.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

TYM
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Armed Forces for me. As much as I love the blowtorch effect of TYM, I feel like Armed Forces is where Elvis showed the world he was more than just a 'punk'. The melodies are fantastic all over the place, the performances inspired (if less 'take no prisoners' than TYM) and it contains more certifiable classics, to my ears, than either of the other 70s albums.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Armed Forces is the correct answer. Next to Imperial Bedroom his best record. EC was at the very top of his game with this - the greatest songwriter of his time without a doubt, the hottest live ticket in the world, hell, it even had a hit single on it. Chemistry Class, Two Little Hitlers, Accidents - even the throw aways like Busy Bodies and the superbly strange Moods for Moderns are sheer brilliance. Party Girl is one of , perhaps even THE most glorious pop song he's ever written.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I guess if I'm voting for best I should vote TYM or AF. I went with MAIT, though, because that's still my favourite of the three.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Oh, come on, I can't belive you're bothering with this one.
This year's model will give the biggest decade drubbing.
Accidents will happen has always been one of my favourite EC songs but the rest of Armed Forces was and remains a disappointment.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Fishfinger king wrote:Oh, come on, I can't belive you're bothering with this one.
This year's model will give the biggest decade drubbing.
Accidents will happen has always been one of my favourite EC songs but the rest of Armed Forces was and remains a disappointment.
Well, a third of the board disagree with you. I voted TYM which i believe is the best by some way.

However, Both of the others are classics. Accidents is a great song, but is matched......even surpassed by Party Girl IMHO.
corruptio optimi pessima
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

Taking Liberties or 10 Bloody Mary's.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

This Year's Model is the best for me. It is required listening everytime I go on a road trip. The drums, the frenetic pace, the lyrics of anger and confusion.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
migdd

Post by migdd »

After being weaned on MAIT and TYM upon their successive releases, I considered Armed Forces to be the ultimate EC and the Attractions pop album upon its' release those many years ago. It seemed that everything leading up to it was a practice run and everything thereafter was a bit of a genre exercise. This Year's Model is eclipsed by the albums it called as influences (Aftermath and the early Clash albums). Armed Forces has no peer or point of reference (Abba and Bowie influences aside).

So it's AF for me!