Later with Jools Holland

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

Later with Jools Holland

Post by so lacklustre »

Yippeedy doo!! A new series of Later starts this friday. Here's a copy of the email that Jools sent me. No mention of EC so far though.

Hello again Music Lovers,

Here we are, back with a brand new series of Later and once again we will be bringing all the best musical talent from around the world to your living rooms over the next 6 weeks.

To kick us off into a new series, R.E.M. will be joining me in the studio. Michael Stipe and his compadres will be performing four tracks from their greatest hits album "In Time - The Best of R.E.M. 1988 - 2003" including the classics, "Losing My Religion" and "What's The Frequency Kenneth". They will also be performing their new single (also on the album) "Bad Day". Michael will also be joining me for the obligatory routine inquiries and be telling us what he and the band have been up to since they were last in the Later studio.

Also, in the studio, in this packed first show, will be British R'n'B babe Jamelia who will be performing tracks from her album "Thank You". Jamelia's been off the scene for a while but she's back with a bang and has recently been on tour supporting Justin Timberlake.

I always like to introduce Later fans to something brand new and this week's prize for "best dressed set" goes to British Sea Power. Hailing from Brighton this band of bird lovers like to inject a little bit of the countryside into their shows, check out their set, John Craven would be proud. People have said they sound a bit like Joy Division and look like they have just come out of the trenches.

Also, joining me in the studio this week, will be Chicago Blues legend Buddy Guy. Later is well known for persuading the odd legend to perform on the show and Buddy is no exception. He will be performing tracks from his new album "Blues Singer" and I'll also be quizzing him about the Chicago Blues Scene and some of his heroes, namely Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker.

In the middle of the floor I'll also be introducing you to a young lady from London, called Willis, who recently gave up her job of selling records to pursue her dream of becoming a musician. Willis will be performing a track called, "Paper & Stone".

And finally, I will have a very special chat guest joining me in the studio. Yoko Ono will be chatting about a new DVD she has put together of John Lennon footage, some of which is being seen for the first time..

I think you'll agree it's a great show to start off a new series. But the fun doesn't stop there, coming up in the next few weeks we'll have music from Jane's Addiction, Starsailor, John Cale, The Coral, Oumou Sangare, Love with Arthur Lee, Sean Paul, Kanda Bongo Man, Dizzee Rascal and Texas to name but a few. Stay tuned..

Hope you can join us on Friday 11.35pm on BBC TWO.

Jools
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sounds great, SLL. I enjoy Later With Jools Holland, though I definitely find that sometimes the sheer eclecticness of the guests makes for a show that I need to mute every few songs. :D

Definitely worth it for the good groups/artists, some of which rarely make TV appearances.

Those of you in the US who get BBC America should be able to check out this great show.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

and not one inkling of the dreaded big band, boogie or woogie.

Phew.